Past Webinar: Increasing Housing Density: Best Practices from SB 9
Published On February 25, 2022
In September 2021, California legislators passed the California Housing Opportunity and More Efficiency (HOME) Act — more commonly known as Senate Bill 9 (SB 9) — to address California’s ongoing housing crisis. In effect since the start of 2022, the law allows for an additional housing unit on parcels zoned for single-family homes without discretionary review or hearing, permitting lot splits and duplexes in neighborhoods formerly devoid of such home types.
On March 3, SPUR and the Terner Center co-presented a webinar exploring findings from an analysis by the Terner Center on how SB 9 is being implemented around California and pinpoints the best and worst practices occurring at the local level.
- Jordan Klein / City of Berkeley Planning Department
- David Garcia / Terner Center for Housing Innovation
- Muhammad Tarek Alameldin / Terner Center for Housing Innovation
- Barbara Kautz / Goldfarb & Lipman LLP
- Nazanin Salehi / Goldfarb & Lipman LLP
- Michael Lane / SPUR