Skip to main content

Our Values

With a small but dynamic core staff, team members at the Terner Center take on a variety of different roles on many projects in a fast-paced, data-driven environment. We hold our work and each other to high standards through constructive feedback and iterative review. Most of all, we are committed to the success and growth of each member of our team. We encourage staff to share their knowledge, time, and perspectives, and to seek out opportunities for professional and educational development.

A key aim of our work is to guide and elevate the scholarship and leadership of students at UC Berkeley on issues in housing policy, development, and design. We regularly hire UC Berkeley graduate and undergraduate students from a variety of programs for semester appointments. Please check below for opportunities for students.

Our Culture

  • We strive to foster collaboration and team engagement. Impactful research and policy development are rooted in exchange, both within our team and with external partners and organizations.
  • We expect our staff to value research that is independent, based in evidence, and rigorous. We look for team members who are committed to producing high-quality and impactful work that advances the Terner Center’s mission. 
  • We believe our work is stronger when it engages a broad set of stakeholders. We look for team members who are always thinking about new ways to amplify our work and reach new audiences. 
  • We are family-friendly. With several working parents on our team, we offer flexibility in scheduling and enjoy when kids of all ages visit our office or pop up on video calls. 
  • We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where every team member is welcomed, valued, and supported. The quality of our ideas, analysis, and execution is improved by learning from and supporting the diverse perspectives and experiences of our staff and partners, particularly those from groups who have experienced marginalization and oppression.
  • We are an equal opportunity employer and seek applications from people with diverse backgrounds of all kinds. We strongly encourage Black people, indigenous people, and people of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer+ people; women; people with disabilities; veterans; formerly incarcerated people; and people with lived experience of homelessness or housing challenges to apply.


  • Comprehensive medical insurance, including health, dental, and vision coverage through UC Berkeley. Click here to learn more.
  • Retirement savings or pension opportunities as well as retirement counseling and education through UC Berkeley. Click here to learn more.
  • Paid vacation, sick time, and holiday leave.
  • Access to the educational and professional development benefits of a world-class academic institution.


Terner Center Postdoctoral Scholar

The Terner Center for Housing Innovation invites applications for a Postdoctoral Scholar position. The Terner Center, housed at UC Berkeley, is a leading policy research institution focused on advancing evidence-driven solutions to the nation’s housing and homelessness crises.

We are currently recruiting for post-docs in three areas:

  • Homelessness and affordable housing, with a specific focus on funding permanent supportive housing and homelessness services through Medicaid waivers;
  • Zoning, land use, and housing supply and finance;
  • The linkages between housing and climate policy, including aligning California’s housing supply and climate mitigation policies, building decarbonization, and climate resilience.

The ideal candidates will have a strong interest in conducting applied research that is responsive to current policy debates in housing and who seek to grow their skills in translating research for policy impact. Post-doctoral scholars will devote 80% time working on Terner research projects, conducted jointly with faculty members, research staff, and graduate students. The remaining 20% of time will be available for the successful applicant’s own research. In addition to salary, the Terner Center will provide the postdoc with $4,000 to attend academic or professional conferences.

This position is in-person at UC Berkeley and requires being in the Terner office 2-3 days a week. Salary range: $64,480 – $77,327.

Read more about the positions and apply here. The search committee will begin reviewing applications on May 1, 2024.


Terner Center Student Roles

The Terner Center regularly recruits Graduate and Undergraduate students to assist in a range of projects and roles each semester and over the summer break. We are not currently soliciting applications for GSRs. Please check back soon for future opportunities.