Housing Lab Director
WHO WE ARE
Terner Housing Innovation Labs (Terner Labs) is a startup nonprofit organization that formulates and advances bold strategies to house families from all walks of life in vibrant, sustainable, and affordable homes and communities. As a sister organization of the Terner Center for Housing Innovation at UC Berkeley, we transform innovative research and policy expertise into actionable tools, programs, and partnerships with the public and private sector. We are committed to solutions that increase the supply and lower the cost of housing in ways that align with equity and environmental goals; expand access to quality homes and communities to support racial, social, and economic inclusion; and drive innovation in housing policy and practice.
The Housing Lab, a program of Terner Labs, identifies and accelerates creative models to lower housing costs with a focus on addressing systemic racial and economic inequity. The Housing Lab team reviews 100-200 organizations a year to select a small cohort of entrepreneurs to help grow their organizations more quickly to influence the housing market at a national scale. Participants receive seed money and 6 months of intensive coaching, business and financing strategic support, and connections with industry leaders.
Since October 2019, The Housing lab has supported 11 organizations across two cohorts, and is in the process of launching its 2022 program. Housing Lab alumni have measurably improved the lives of over 23,000 individuals, raised $330 million in additional funding, and secured significant government partnerships and policy changes to advance their work. Over the next several years, the Housing Lab is planning to expand to include additional programming, resources, and events to support the growth of more innovative models and disseminate best practices.
HOW YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE
Terner Labs seeks an entrepreneurial and dynamic Director of the Housing Lab. The leader will utilize their expertise across issues of housing innovation, public policy, start-up models, and racial and economic equity, alongside strong planning and management skills to lead the current program and shape the future of the program’s growth. They will collaborate with a team of paid and pro bono coaches, graduate students, partner organizations, and Terner Labs and Terner Center staff to identify leading innovators and support them in bringing their ideas to scale. They will bring an energetic and open-minded spirit and thrive within a fast-paced, growing organization.
The Director will report to the Terner Labs’ Chief Strategy Officer and will be an essential leader in the organization. This is an opportune time to join and help shape a fast-growing startup organization.
Oversee and Direct Housing Lab program:
- Serve as the day-to-day manager of the Housing Lab program, including cohort recruitment process and implementation of virtual and in-person cohort programming.
- Manage team of students, consultants, and staff that support the Housing Lab program including an annual Housing Lab Graduate Fellowship, paid and pro bono coaches that advise Housing Lab companies, and the external Selection Committee.
- Collaborate with Terner Labs leadership to develop recommendations for program refinement and expansion that advance the Housing Lab’s mission. Work collaboratively to develop implementation plans, raise funding and/or develop revenue models for new work areas, and hire staff or consultants as needed.
- Work with Terner Labs operations staff to plan and execute in-person components of the Housing Lab program, such as retreats for Housing Lab cohort members or planned conferences.
- Serve as a direct advisor to Housing Lab cohort members, complementing external coaches as needed.
- Project manage development of communication materials, collateral, earned media, related blogs or white papers, etc.
- Steward philanthropic funding sources, including developing funding proposals, managing relationships with funding sources, and owning grant reporting in collaboration with other staff.
- Speak publicly at conferences, stakeholder meetings, etc. nationally to promote the Housing Lab and Terner Labs.
SKILL SETS / MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Energetic and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Experience leading multidisciplinary teams and projects with clear expectations and timelines.
- Ability to engage in conversations about racial equity internally and externally and ability to weave that perspective throughout the understanding of problems, program design, evaluation of innovations, coaching of entrepreneurs, and overall program implementation.
- Inspiring and thoughtful communication style that meets the needs of diverse team members and cohort members and engenders trust and collaboration.
- Familiarity with a wide range of housing-related concepts and related opportunities for innovation, such as home finance, real estate acquisition and development, technology products, and sustainability.
- Familiarity with concepts related to building businesses and nonprofits to grow innovative ideas, including venture capital finance, impact investing, and for profit and nonprofit start-up organizational design.
- 5+ years relevant work experience
- Relevant masters degree (e.g., Masters in Business Administration, Masters in Real Estate Development, Masters in City Planning) is a plus, but is not required.
Terner Labs is a young organization with growth potential. The person serving in this position needs to be excited to join the team while we scale and demonstrate comfort with the dynamism that entails. This means being open to fluidity, being willing to jump in and do what is necessary even if it isn’t in the job description, and being passionate about building the organization in partnership with the leadership team.
WHAT YOU’LL EXPERIENCE
We are open to a wide range of past experiences for candidates interested in this role. The target salary range for this position is $120,000 – $145,000, commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, disability, and mental health coverage, as well as 18 vacation days, one sick day a month, 14 paid holidays, and the opportunity to participate in a generous retirement savings plan matching program.
This position will be located in Oakland, CA, with opportunities for a hybrid work schedule.
Terner Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage individuals to apply who bring lived experience with issues of housing affordability and equity. Criminal background checks are not required.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit your materials here. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.