Watch the full recording of the symposium above.
Here is a Q&A document answering the audience questions that we were unable to answer live.
Safe, affordable housing and homeownership are increasingly out of reach for many U.S. families. The economic fallout from the pandemic has exposed and dramatically exacerbated the deep inequalities in wealth creation and housing security.
Each year, the Ivory Prize recognizes the achievements of a set of top practitioners from across the country who are using innovation to advance housing affordability. This 90 minute symposium features the top 10 finalists from the 2020 Ivory Prize. They represent non-profit, private, and government organizations from across the United States with new approaches to build, regulate, or finance housing. Their solutions were awarded because they are feasible and scalable and have the potential to make a significant dent in addressing our national housing shortage or increasing access for families that have been excluded from the market.
The panels are designed to inspire entrepreneurs, housing professionals, and students to think creatively and to spark new connections, ideas, and solutions to the country’s housing affordability crisis.
- Carol Galante, Faculty Director, Terner Center for Housing Innovation
- Clark Ivory, CEO, Ivory Homes
- The Policy Challenge: David Garcia, Policy Director, Terner Center for Housing Innovation
- Introduction to 2020 Ivory Prize Policy Winner: Symbium
- Q&A Ivory Prize Policy Winner & Finalists
- Moderator: Marla Torrado, Planning Director, Community Powered Workshop
- Panelists: Leila Banijamali (Symbium), Mary Kyle McCurdy (The State of Oregon), Paul Mogush (City of Minneapolis)
Construction & Design Innovation
- The Construction & Design Challenge: Ryan Smith, Director of School of Design and Construction, Washington State University
- Introduction to 2020 Ivory Prize Construction & Design Winner: Entreka
- Q&A Ivory Prize Construction & Design Winner & Finalists
- Moderator: Rick Holliday, CEO, Factory_OS
- Panelists: Gerry McCaughey (Entekra), Roger Krulack (Fullstack Modular), Julieta Moradei (New Story Charity)
- The Finance Challenge: Laurie Goodman, Co-Director, Urban Institute’s Housing Finance Policy Center
- Introduction to 2020 Ivory Prize Finance Winner: Rhino
- Q&A Ivory Prize Finance Winner & Finalists
- Moderator: Jesse Vaughn, Investments + Co-Founder, Landed
- Panelists: Samir Goel (Esusu), Parag Sarva (Rhino), Paul Bradley (ROC USA), Pat McLoughlin (Digs)
Kent Colton, Chair of the Ivory Prize Advisory Board and President of Colton Housing Group