Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at the Terner Center for Housing Innovation. Established in 2015, the Terner Center is a leading voice in the formulation of practical solutions and policies to meet the challenges of developing homes and communities that are affordable, vibrant, and environmentally sustainable.
With a small but dynamic core staff, team members at the Terner Center take on a variety of different roles on many projects in a fast-paced, data-driven environment. We hold our work and each other to high standards through constructive feedback and iterative review. Most of all, we are committed to the success and growth of each member of our team. We encourage staff to share their knowledge, time, and perspectives, and to seek out opportunities for professional and educational development.
A key aim of our work is to guide and elevate the scholarship and leadership of students at UC Berkeley on issues in housing policy, development, and design. We regularly hire UC Berkeley graduate and undergraduate students from a variety of programs for semester appointments. Please check below for opportunities for students.
- We strive to foster collaboration and team engagement. Impactful research and policy development are rooted in exchange, both within our team and with external partners and organizations.
- We expect our staff to value research that is independent, based in evidence, and rigorous. We look for team members who are committed to producing high-quality and impactful work that advances the Terner Center’s mission.
- We believe our work is stronger when it engages a broad set of stakeholders. We look for team members who are always thinking about new ways to amplify our work and reach new audiences.
- We are family-friendly. With several working parents on our team, we offer flexibility in scheduling and enjoy when kids of all ages visit our office or pop up on video calls.
- We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where every team member is welcomed, valued, and supported.
- Comprehensive medical insurance, including health, dental, and vision coverage through UC Berkeley. Click here to learn more.
- Retirement savings or pension opportunities as well as retirement counseling and education through UC Berkeley. Click here to learn more.
- Paid vacation, sick time, and holiday leave.
- Access to the educational and professional development benefits of a world-class academic institution.
Senior Research Associate
The successful candidate will advance the understanding of U.S. housing markets, public policy, and private sector innovation through close collaboration with the Terner Center’s leadership team to identify new research opportunities, develop research designs and conceptual frameworks, and formulate policy proposals. The Senior Research Associate will help to supervise and review the data collection, data analysis, and report production processes, participate and present research at relevant conferences, and collaborate with senior staff to secure funding for research projects.
Flexible for the candidate to be based in Los Angeles or the San Francisco Bay Area.
Read more and apply at the UC Berkeley careers site here.
For current UC Berkeley employees, please apply via the link here.
The Terner Center regularly recruits Graduate and Undergraduate students to assist in a range of projects and roles each semester and over the summer break. Please check back for the next call for applications.